The Wildebeest migrates away from safariLIVE

Wium “The Wildebeest” Dornbrack will be saying goodbye to safariLIVE on the 4th of October. Wium started off as cameraman for safariLIVE almost four years ago in November 2014. Since then he has had some truly amazing adventures with the safariLIVE family.

Not much is known about the mysterious Wildebeest other than his world class camera work, but here is a little insight into the man behind the camera:

Dr Frankenstein himself would be proud and amazed by Wium’s ability to create working cameras out of various broken bits and bobs, never mind the hydrogen cell he built and installed himself into his own car. His impressive redesign and total facelift of his very own camper trailer would make the cast and crew of “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” exceptionally envious.

MacGyver would be intimidated by Wium’s propensity to bush fix any technical or mechanical mishap that presents itself in the wild. There is nothing that can’t be fixed with some gaffer tape or a few cable ties in Wium’s opinion. Aside from his engineering genius and technical know how, Wium has also made massive improvements to the DRC living space. He’s installed fairy lights to give our evenings elegant ambiance, power points in the main section of camp so laptops can be used in the cool of the outside on warm summer days and of course, the invention of the wildly popular goblet of fire!

Of course it would be remiss to not comment on his outstanding camera work. It seems Wium almost has a connection with the animals, seemingly being able to predict what they will do and where they will go. This is particularly evident when he’s filming his favourite of all the mammals, big cats and specifically leopards. His hilarious reactions to sightings that bore him will be missed by viewers and FC alike.

There is so much to be be said about Wium and not enough words to do him justice. Wium, you have been a truly remarkable member of the WildEarth family and safariLIVE crew. We are going to miss not only your incredible camera work and technical wizardry but also your hilarious jokes and one-liners that come out of nowhere, totally blindsiding us and bringing us to tears of laughter. Your talent as the safariLIVE acapella trumpeter will never be topped and camp will seem oddly silent without you. WE all realise it is time for you to move on and pursue your own dreams and ambitions. Wherever it is you decide to migrate to, we wish you only the best of luck packaged in genuine love and friendship.

Van almal hier by safariLIVE, tot siens Wildebeest, dankie vir alles!

By | 2018-09-29T07:41:32+00:00 September 27th, 2018|crew, Featured, safariLIVE|23 Comments

About the Author:

23 Comments

1. Diane Ensley September 27, 2018 at 4:42 pm - Reply

I will miss you so much Wium. you have been such a great addition and blessing to WE and all of us WE viewers. Safari will never be the same again. Wishing you happiness and success in your future endeavors.

2. Milly Piros September 27, 2018 at 5:25 pm - Reply

Awwwww WE will miss you very much including we the viewers. Good luck for what you have chosen as your stepping stone.

3. Ann Hendrix September 27, 2018 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Wium so many of my best screenshots have been through your lens. Really will miss you. Wishing you the very best life has to offer and more great adventures. Glad you stayed as long as you did!

4. Nancy Fernandez September 27, 2018 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Wium you will be missed for your talent and person you are. Best of luck in your future endeavors. SL is losing another wonderful talent and we will miss you on drives.

5. Sally Harris September 27, 2018 at 7:16 pm - Reply

Wium, I agree with Ann , I have so many superb screenshots from your fantastic artistic take on the simplest of things ,changes them to work of art .
    I hope you find a wonderful new adventure, we will as viewers certainly miss your input. It’s been awesome. Be happy .

6. Terry Berube September 27, 2018 at 7:28 pm - Reply

How fitting that you used a picture of Wium with a leopard. Wium will be missed by many viewers, including myself. Best of luck to Wium in whatever he does, wherever he goes.

7. Angie B September 27, 2018 at 7:29 pm - Reply

All the best in the future, Wium!!! We’ll miss you!!!

8. Caroline Vickers September 27, 2018 at 8:19 pm - Reply

Wium altho I have never met you it seems like I know you. you will be sorely missed

9. Jan Harrison September 27, 2018 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Wium

Sorry to see you go. Have a new adventure and enjoy life.

10. CoCo72 September 27, 2018 at 9:39 pm - Reply

sigh with head in hands……..WE will miss you

11. Ann Del Tredici September 27, 2018 at 10:26 pm - Reply

No, no, no–say it isn’t so Wium! I’ll miss you and your wonderful photography! You’re the King of framing and have that special eye for super close-ups. I will really miss you–and thank you for sharing Africa with me (and us)! Good luck–have fun and don’t get eaten alive!

12. Joy L September 27, 2018 at 11:38 pm - Reply

Wium,
    Thank you for letting all of us see through your eyes the magnificence of Africa.
    You and the other camera operators have brought such Joy to my life. I am partially housebound and Safari Live keeps my spirits up and lets me see places I will never be able to travel to.
    My love of all animals and the outdoors. And the excitement of you and the presenters being so close to the wild animals.
    I wish you a happy life and your talent has been appreciated greatly, You will be missed!

13. Diana Hill September 27, 2018 at 11:47 pm - Reply

So sorry to see you go you have given me such an insight to animals with your camera work and you will be sorely missed 😢😢😢

14. Elizabeth September 28, 2018 at 12:20 am - Reply

Say it isn’t so!

15. Rebecca Coulter September 28, 2018 at 12:54 am - Reply

Happy trails, Wium! It has been a privilege to enjoy your intuition, energy, and exquisite artistry behind the camera on safarlive. Wishing you all the joy of your gypsy spirit. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

16. Ann dunn September 28, 2018 at 1:22 am - Reply

May the wind blow softly at your back, may the earth stay strong at your feet, best wishes in your new adventure , you will be missed.

17. Katy Ciula September 28, 2018 at 2:05 am - Reply

Wium, we will all miss you. Your camera work is the best and all the guides seem to have a great time with you. All the best and stop by some time to say hello!

18. Shelley Gaines September 28, 2018 at 4:41 am - Reply

What? Where is everyone going? Wium, thank you for all your work on bringing an actual African Safari directly to my living room! Your work has brought the importance of protecting our wildlife to my attention, a housewife from So California! Now it is all I think about. I wish you well on your journey. Be well & Safe travels!

19. Elizabeth Moreno September 28, 2018 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Wishing for the best, wherever you go. Take care Wium.

20. Kathy Collings September 28, 2018 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Enjoy what is nect for you, Mr. Dornbrock. I have noticed you in other Nat Geo projects. I hope you continue to work at least some for Nat Geo. Your creativity with film and your wonderful smile are so welcome and important for the soul of people and the earth.

21. Deb September 29, 2018 at 12:17 am - Reply

Everyone seems to be leaving! All will be missed, Best of everything and luck in your future endeavors! We will miis you Wium!

22. Jane H September 29, 2018 at 5:01 am - Reply

All the best on the next chapter of your adventure. Thank you for your incredible artistic camera wizardry.

23. Christine Roquet September 29, 2018 at 5:24 am - Reply

Whenever I heard ” and Wium is on camera”, I knew our viewpoint would be excellent and interesting. You’re an artist. I miss you already.